15 Practical Tips On How To Forget Someone in Life

Are you looking for ways on how to forget someone you like or you have loved? Are you struggling with the thought of the person who you cannot stop thinking about especially who has hurt you? We often come across people in life who hurt us beyond repair. And it leaves us with a struggle to forget them. Whether it is your friend, relative, or the love of your life, some of us certainly have a list of people whom we are trying to forget. But have you ever wondered why it is hard to forget someone? Here are the possible reasons.

  1. You are afraid that we might not find anyone better than the person.
  2. You are still having feelings that are lingering and it is difficult to control.
  3. You are stalking them even though they are out of your life.
  4. Your love was so pure and genuine that you really believed that he or she was the one.
  5. It is difficult to forget someone because chances are that you are lonely and you need someone to be dependent on emotionally.
  6. You have been deeply hurt by the person and it is impossible to forgive and forget.

how to forget someone
Practical Tips to Forget Someone in Life

Having a good memory is a blessing but it is also necessary to be able to forget something or someone for our peaceful existence. To be honest, it is technically not possible for anyone to forget someone instantly. You simply cannot erase memories from your mind anytime you wish. So what can you do? You can always strive to let the brain accept the fact that you have been hurt and condition it to stop thinking about someone and eventually let go of all the negative feelings that dawdle in your brain.

15 Practical Tips To Forget Someone in Life

1. Don’t run away from your feelings.

Accept the fact that you have been hurt and acknowledge your feelings. People try to be strong on the surface even though they are deeply hurt inside. In such cases, the feelings are bottled up and explode unexpectedly. The best way is to avoid suppressing your feeling and take time to grieve. Don’t run away from the pain. Learn to heal the wounds well on time.

Most of the time, I keep smiling no matter what I am going through. People around me hardly would know that I am being hurt. I was good at suppressing my emotions deeply. But unfortunately, it would explode at the wrong time, wrong place, and wrong people. This would affect my relationship and create mayhem in my life. I learned to manage my emotions. Whenever I would be hurt, I would call the closest friend of mine and simply ask them to listen to me. If unavailable, I would note down my feelings and cry as much as I would. This made me feel better with time. Simply acknowledging the feeling of being hurt is the first step to forget someone.

2. Stop stalking.

I know the person you are trying to forget is someone who you really like and it is certainly not easy to get them off your mind. Even though they have hurt you, you still want to know their activities by tracking them on social media. The more you try to check up on that person, the more difficult it will be to take them off your mind. To forget someone, you need to create space in your mind for new things, new people instead of revisiting the person whom you are trying to forget. So the first thing is to get off social media. Get a digital detox. Uninstall apps that you are addicted and that lures you to stalk. The best way is to use this time and rebuild your life.

3. Don’t reconnect.

No matter what happens, don’t reconnect or give any space to the person who has hurt you. Break all the contacts and shut them off completely from your life. If you have mutual friends, talk to them and let them know that you will have limited conversation or no conversation at all. And ask them to respect your space and decision to not bring the person who you are trying to forget. If necessary, don’t connect with mutual friends too. Reconnecting with the person is not going to help you. The cycle of communication needs to be stopped. Block them by all means.

Read here to learn simple ways to get over a breakup.

4. Give time to yourself.

It is impossible to take someone off your mind instantly. Do not rush through these feelings. People try to overwork just to stop thinking about someone. This can harm your mind and body. You need to be patient. Remember that with time, everything falls in place.

how to forget someone


During my college days, I had befriended a girl who was very humble and kind. College was new to me and she was the only person who I knew closely and on whom I could be dependent. I trusted her completely and had become an important part of my life. As the studies progressed, she ditched me to join another group in my class. She never apologized neither accepted the fact that she has done anything wrong. Every day, I had to face her and I felt hurt seeing her face. For her, I didn’t exist. It broke me down thinking that she never considered me important.

Interesting quotes to move on forward in life.

It was difficult for me to forget and forgive someone who was never sorry. I had lost trust in true friendship. But with time I realized not everyone is alike and then I let her go off my mind. I did make friends with other people in my class but things were never the same. I had created boundaries and avoided situations that would hurt me in the future. I took the time to rebuild the trust again but not the same person. As I finished graduating, I ended up finding a wonderful person who I have been friends for the past 15 years.

5. Focus on your life.

When you are too dependent on someone in life, you tend to lose focus on the real goals of your own life. You surround your life with such people who when they leave or hurt you, it becomes hard to take back control of your life. During such times, instead of wailing about those people who brought you pain and disappointment, change your mind to completely focus on your life. Set your goals straight that you have been eyeing on for a long time now. Use the time to reflect your ambitions and create a plan to achieve them.

6. Get closure.

When you are trying to forget someone or stop thinking about them, the first thing you need to do is get a closure. Take time to reflect upon the reasons as to why it is important to forget and let go of the person. Think about instances of how the relationship or the person was not beneficial to you. Do not try of thinking ways to mend the relationship. If someone can hurt you once, there is a high chance that they will do it again. Once you understand this, it will be easier for you to close the chapter and move forward in life. To get a closure you don’t have to reconnect with the person. Instead, make a firm decision of not entertaining that person anymore in your life and stick to it.

how to forget someone


When my boyfriend cheated on me, I forgave him thinking that it must have been a mistake. However, our relationship strained with time, and eventually, it didn’t survive for long. Neither it ended on a good note nor there was a scope for closure. The relationship had deeply affected me emotionally and I had to struggle hard to stop thinking about him and forget him. I wrote a letter to him describing all the time he hurt me and how it jilted my life. I never sent that letter but guess what I found a closure mentally. I had made a strong decision not to ever get back to him under any circumstances. He tried connecting me again but I never responded. I had controlled my emotions and used them wisely. It took a lot of effort but with time, all the memories have faded.

7. Channelize your emotions positively.

One of the most important ways to forget someone is to channelize your negative emotions. All the resentment and anger that you are feeling right now, utilize them on something good. Do not try to hate the person. Hate is a solid emotion and it will just drain you. Strong feelings increase the energy of your body. Use this energy for exercising or take up any activity that makes you feel good. Turn your emotions into something productive and creative. I have seen many people who after breakup hit the gym and they work on themselves so much that they completely change their physique and personality.

8. Keep yourself engaged.

When you are free and doing nothing engaging, all sorts of thoughts run through your mind. During such time, it becomes essential to keep yourself engaged to not remember things that hurt you. If you have lots of free time, look up for activities that can help you to learn something new. Enroll yourself to explore a new hobby or a skill that can help you personally and professionally.

9. Work on yourself.

If you shift the focus of your mind completely on yourself, your life will improve significantly. If you are going through a breakup and trying to forget that person, avail this time to free yourself from everything that was holding you from being yourself. Nurture your mind and body during this time. Maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy and exercising. Practice meditation. Meet your friends and families and go out with them. Focus on your career and give your best to attain success.

10. Stay strong.

Stay strong for yourself. Do not give up just because you have been hurt by someone. There will be times you would be tempted to go back and talk to the person. Memories will flashback with certain things. If you have been into a long relationship, there are chances that you have had really good and bad memories. Avoid things, places, and people that remind you of the person who has hurt you. Once you are emotionally strong, the effect of these memories won’t be harmful and you will learn to stop thinking about them.

11. Learn to forgive.

Unless you learn to forgive people in life, you will never be able to live life fully. It is not easy to forgive someone who has hurt you. But remember that forgiveness is freedom. Forgiving someone doesn’t happen overnight. It is a process that needs to be learned and followed. Take your own time and forgive the person who has hurt you. Understand the fact, that forgiving doesn’t mean that you can trust the person again. You forgive for your peace of mind.

12. Embrace new opportunities.

If one door closes another opens. If there are no doors, look out for open windows. Life will always give you new opportunities. Recognize such chances and embrace them with a whole heart.

When I was in a relationship with my ex, I missed many career opportunities that could have enhanced my life. As soon as the relationship got over, I used this time to build my career skills. It was very difficult for me to get a job in the beginning since I had changed my career field. I never gave up and eventually, life offered me a wonderful opportunity in a career that made me a happy and content person. During this time I also found the love of my life and got married. Read my story about how it all started.

13. Connect with new people.

Create space for new people in life. Go to events and places where you can find like-minded people. Connect with them. Learn new things with new people. Give a chance to people who accept you the way you are. Be true to yourself and others. Once you start connecting with new people, you will have new memories. Take time to build trust. Don’t simply give in just because you are lonely or looking for a relationship. Have permanent friends who will stay with you every season. Don’t be too dependent on others for anything. Eventually, you will start becoming better and enjoy life. All the past and hurtful moments won’t hurt so much and in no time you will realize that the person who hurt you once doesn’t matter anymore. You don’t have to really make an effort to forget them now. If you have enough reasons to laugh, why would you waste time crying? Right?

14. Let go.

Once you start accepting the fact that whatever happens, happens for good, it will be easier for you to let go of the person. There are a lot of reasons why some people come to our life and leave. They don’t stay permanently. Understand that people will come and go and that is part of the universal life. Sometimes it will be better and sometimes it will be bitter. You need to learn to let it go and accept things as they unfold. Be determined to move forward in life without looking back.
 

15. Don’t be afraid.

As mentioned in the above introduction, it is possible that you are afraid that you won’t find any better person and hence it is difficult to forget that someone. Let me tell you, life will keep surprising you at every moment. Believe in yourself completely and embrace all the uncertainties in life. Once you encounter the right person who will be just perfect for you, you will be thankful to all these temporary people who crossed your life. Remember that nothing in life is permanent. This time that you feel low and challenging will pass away soon. Don’t be afraid of the limitless breaks that life is waiting to offer you.

Final Thoughts

Don’t think too much about the past for long. Those who left were never meant to stay in your life. Be happy knowing that those who are going to come in your life will be better than those who left you. Try these tips and see if it helps you to stop thinking about someone. I hope these practical tips to forget someone you loved or who hurt you will help you to move on ahead in life.

Share this post with your friends and family.

Post a Comment

0 Comments