Gratitude List - 50 Things in Life You Should Be Grateful For

Gratitude List: Do You Really Need It? Read This to Decide

gratitude list


When I was going through a difficult time in life, a friend of mine who is a psychologist suggested to start writing a gratitude list and make it a habit. I followed her suggestion and made an attempt to create my own gratitude journal. In the beginning, it was difficult to pay attention to the things that made me grateful. However, with time, I started mentally noting about all the little things that made me cheerful and happy. I would scribble them in my diary as in when I got time. This practice made me aware of things in life that you should be grateful for.

Practicing gratitude definitely has changed my perception of life. Since today is my birthday, I thought why not reflect over the past three decades of life and share a gratitude list that will keep me inspired for the future. Before I begin, I would first like to throw some light on the benefits of gratitude and how to practice it. 

What is the meaning of gratitude?


In simple terms, gratitude means being thankful. Gratitude is an action of being appreciative and indebted towards something or someone who has helped you in some way. Being grateful means you acknowledge the kindness that you have received in life. 

6 Reasons Why You Should Start Practicing Gratitude Now

  1. Practicing gratitude makes you feel gratified. 
  2. Gratitude makes you worry less and appreciate more. 
  3. It can help in reducing stress and encourages one to be more optimistic.
  4. Practice gratitude can help us to improve our self-esteem and overall personality.
  5. It makes our relationship stronger and increases happiness.
  6. Gratitude helps us to control our greed to want more in life.

6 Simple Tips To Practice Gratitude Every Day

  1. Take a break from the speed of life and observe the small things around you that take up the most space. Do they cheer you up? Look for an answer. 
  2. Start appreciating the little things in life that actually hold the most value. 
  3. Make a mental note of everything, whether it is coffee, your favorite green tea, or just the fact that you woke up in the morning. The idea is to be grateful for everything that helps you start your day and follow the same pattern for the rest of the day.
  4. Make a gratitude journal. Personalize it with your handwritten notes and pictures. You can simply scribble them in plain pages and bind them together later. If you want to invest in a gratitude journal, you can do so. There are lots of options available to buy an online gratitude journal or you can create one for yourself.
  5. Ensure that you think about a minimum of three things that made you feel grateful. Write it down in your journal. 
  6. Initially, it might be challenging but once you start, you will enjoy the whole process.

List of Things That I Am Grateful For

I am delighted to share my gratitude list. I hope this list gives an insight to you to become more grateful in life.

1. I am thankful for having parents. Ever since I lost my father three years ago, I have learned to appreciate the fact that I still have my mother in life. Having her by my side makes me feel grateful.

2. I am grateful to have siblings in my life. Even though we fight at times, we patch up equally sooner. 

3. It is a great blessing to have a family. We have different opinions. But as a family, we are stronger together. We have stood for each other in hard times and celebrated our little victories. And I believe families are forever. 

4. I am grateful to be able to see my grandparents. Not everyone is fortunate to have the love and care of their grandparents. I have seen them grow old and their stories have always inspired me.

5. I am thankful for this life to give me a wonderful husband. His unconditional love and support encourages me to push myself and unleash my potential. His kindness inspires me to be more kind and it makes me fall in love with him every day.

Read my story of finding true love.

6. I am grateful for all the cuddles and hugs that I receive from my husband.

7. I am grateful to have amazing friends. They have always stood with me in my difficult times. They have guided me through life. They have always supported me for my decisions and navigated me through rough days.

8. I am grateful for all the wisdom that nature gives us. Here are my detailed thoughts for each and every aspect of nature that I am surrounded with in my day to day life.
  • Sunrise and Sunset: Every sunset reminds me of how beautiful the day has been and how everything shall pass. It makes me hopeful for the next day ahead with another beautiful sunrise. The sunrise emits its sunshine into our day to make our life brighter and happier. 
  • Birds and Butterflies: What a pleasure to hear the chirping sounds of birds in the morning? What about the flickering and colorful butterflies? Their sight excites me to the core.
  • Grass: Have you ever experienced the feeling of walking bare feet on the grass early morning? It completely rejuvenates me. Try it someday and you will know how exactly it feels.
  • Boundless Sky: With all the changing colors and hues, the sky truly surprises me each time. 
  • Moon and Stars: The grandeur of the moon and the surrounding constellations of stars always stir my curiosity. I can spend my night admiring the untouched magnificent sky. 
  • Mountain and Forests: The mountains and forests remind me of the depth that they hold and the bounty they give to us in so many forms.
  • Oceans: Living in a coastal area, I often visit the beach. The view of the ocean calms me down. 
  • Rains: The arrival of rain after a scorching summer is a blessing. The smell of the first rain fills my heart with joy. I am a true lover of petrichor. Eagerly waiting for the monsoon season. 
  • Rainbow: Although you won’t get lucky to see a rainbow every day. But whenever I do, I feel on top of the world. The breathless beauty of the rainbow truly delights my heart.
  • Flower: The sight of flowers elates me with happiness. Tulips, Cherry Blossom, Sunflowers, Roses, and whatnot, they all fill my heart with bliss. Even a tiny little flower that grows in the weed kindles my heart. 
9. I am grateful to have access to clean water. A lot of people in the world are still struggling to have basic clean water.

10. I am grateful to have food. To be able to eat food and especially if it is your favorite then it is a blessing in itself.

11. I am grateful to have access to medical facilities. Imagine a world where you can’t get treatment for your ailments.

12. I am grateful to have a shelter over my head. It hurts my heart to see so many people living their life on the street.

13. I am grateful to have access to the internet. Having the internet gives access to information all around the world. Not everyone is blessed to have access to the internet connection.

14. I am grateful to have a smartphone. It has made my life a lot simpler by having access to details at the tip of your finger.

15. I am grateful to have an air conditioner at home. Summers are really hot here and it becomes difficult to make it through the day and night with all the sweat. Looking around in the neighbourhood, I notice that not everyone has air conditioning at home.

16. I am blessed to have good health. With so much stress around, it is a great blessing to have good health where you can eat, drink, and have a healthy lifestyle.

17.  I am grateful to be able to sleep. I know a lot of people who have trouble sleeping due to insomnia.

18. I am grateful to feel safe in my city. With all the wars and threats going around in so many countries, it is indeed a blessing to be safe in a country.

19. I am grateful to have a career that supports me financially.

20. I am grateful to be able to save some money to use it in an emergency.

21. Having the right to education seems so common. Being the third girl child in the family, I was the first generation learner in the whole family. My elder sisters couldn’t go to school because of the conservativeness of my grandparents. I am grateful that I could go to school, college, and university and was able to earn my bachelor's. 

22. I am grateful to be able to practice my religion freely.

23. I am grateful to have the opportunity to go on holiday. To be able to travel and explore new places is a lifetime experience.

24. I am grateful for all the music and songs that uplift my mood whenever I feel low.

25. I am grateful for all the movies that made me laugh and cry and taught me so much about life.

26. I am grateful for the poems that made me think deeper about life.

27. I am grateful for the books that keep me hooked whenever I want some inspiration in life.

28. I am grateful for Korean Dramas. They made me fall in love with Cherry Blossom.

29. I am grateful to have a beautiful smile. It feels good to be complimented for your smile.

30. I am grateful to all the volunteering opportunities due to which I got to work with young children and have a different perspective on life.

31. I am grateful for who I am. I appreciate the transformation I have seen within me throughout these years. I have learned to accept myself with all the flaws.

32. I am grateful for the kindness of strangers that have crossed my life.

33. I am grateful for all the rejections that I have faced in life. They helped me to do better in life.

34. I am grateful for the challenges that life gives. Life teaches some of the greatest lessons. It inspires me to be more resilient.

35. I am grateful for the pain that I endured which has now made me stronger.

36. I am grateful for the heartbreaks that helped me clear my thoughts about what I really want in life.

Check out this wonderful article on how to get over a breakup.

37. I am grateful for the love that I have experienced in different forms.

38. I am grateful for the prayers that have been answered and also that have not been answered. It makes my faith firmer in God.

39. I am grateful for the hobbies that keep my passion alive.

40. I am grateful for the wisdom that life gives during adversity.

42. I am grateful for all the wonderful opportunities to be able to meet different people across the globe and understand cross-culture.

42. I am grateful for the tears of joy in life. It is rare when you are overwhelmed and tears roll out of happiness.

43. I am grateful for the sadness that keeps a balance in life. It also enhances my coping mechanism.

44. I am grateful to have meaningful conversations with special people in life.

45. I am grateful for the dreams and undying hope that keep my life in motion.

46. I am grateful to see happy faces around me that remind me to smile and laugh more.

You will also like to read: How to Be Happy in Life

47. I am grateful for my time on this earth. I am learning to be able to manage time more effectively. We often take time for granted presuming that we have a lot of time in hand to do things. However, the reality is that a gone time will never come back again.

48. I am grateful to be able to write my thoughts. Even though I am still a beginner, I am ensuring to practice it every day to make it better.

49. I am grateful for all the memories that life has given. When I look back, they make me cry and laugh and remind me to see the beauty and grace of life.

50. Above all, this year, I am grateful for my pregnancy. I am excited and looking forward to this journey of motherhood. I am thrilled to know that I have a life inside me. We all are praying for the safe delivery of our baby in this tough time.

So what is on your gratitude list today? Let us know in the below comment box.
Share this post with your friends and family. Spread out the word.

Post a Comment

0 Comments